Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cotton Spinning

Adventures in Cotton spinning! 

I decided to try my hand at spinning cotton recently. So I hopped on ebay and ordered a sliver of, "Red, green and white" cotton.  I as very excited to play with it. 


I spin on a single treadle lendrum. Here it is covered with the cotton while I prepared. 


The staple of this is very short, and I found stripping it into very thin pieces made spinning it easier. It still came out just a little lumpy and bumpy, but I like it that way. 


Here is the single before plying. 

Still on the spool while plying. I love how it looks.  Once plied cotton needs to be boiled, to set the twist. I boiled it for about twenty minutes. 


Still wet after boiling. The color deepens after being boiled. Though once dry it wasnt a very dramatic change in color. 

Dried after boiled. 


And there you have it, if you have any questions feel free to ask. 

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment