Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mama Trust Your Gut

Trust your gut. No one knows your baby as well as you do. Even when they are newborns, you know them best. That little baby was living inside you for 9 months. I am a first time mom, I had my little princess in July.


 She had a very simple feeding issue that was ignored. Or at least not noticed. The first time she breastfed was easy, she latched on and ate easily. But hours later was another story. I couldn't get her to latch and when I did, she would just get tired and fall off without eating. I told the first nurse I had, she said "Oh that's normal" I didn't buy it but ok. I kept trying. The next nurse again "She is a newborn, they always have trouble" and that's true, some babies do have trouble. The next nurse told me if I had so much trouble I should give up and she would bring me a bottle. No way. By my fourth nurse I was skeptical. I asked again about her feeding. This nurse ended up being a God send. I wish I could remember her name and thank her, she was wonderful! She looked in Tempe's mouth for the first time, no other nurse had thought of that for some reason. Turns out tongue tied! Aha! Solved, something simple to work with. Though at this point she was Jaundice and tired. So instead of trying to get Tempe to latch, since she was exhausted. This Nurse brought me a pump, and a syringe. That Nurse sat with me for an hour helping me feed my little baby with a syringe. I was lucky, Tempe didn't need to go under any lights, and we left the hospital right on schedule. Though for the feeding issue we had to use a Madela Nipple shield for two weeks. We slowly broke away from using it for every feeding. Never be afraid to use one if that is what your baby needs. 
So glad I trusted my gut, and had a wonderful nurse that actually listened to me. Repeat your concerns! Even if you sound like a broken record! 
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment